Wednesday 25 May 2011

A Look At Upcoming Films: 2011

A Total Film Twitter post yesterday asked followers to name their best movie year and the films in it. This opened the floodgates of people posting 1985 (arguably one of the best, as frequent contributor Kathryn would defend - Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire etc.), 1999 (Fight Club, The Sixth Sense, Toy Story 2) and more. But Kathryn and I posted two different ones. I said 2011, which has already thrown up some amazing movies (The Fighter, True Grit, Water for Elephants among many), but has the promise of many more to come. And Kathryn posted 2012, which has so many films coming out that are must-see that I am already saving up (keep your eyes peeled for my post about 2012 coming soon).

Firstly, just around the corner (literally just), is the highly-anticipated X-Men: First Class. I am so unbelievably excited for this film I do a little happy dance in my head every time I think about it. After the shambles of X-Men: The Last Stand and the atrocious Wolverine, I cannot wait for this reboot that promises plenty of action, stellar performances (though I’m not too thrilled about the women involved – Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne and January Jones – but we shall see) and amazing special effects. From what I’ve seen, which as I have complained about before, is far too much before the film has even been released, it looks like just the kick the franchise needs. And I am happy about Matthew Vaughn helming it, I think he’ll do a great job. And it also doesn’t hurt that James McAvoy is in it. It looks like him and Michael Fassbender have amazing chemistry going on - I sense bromance. My review for this will come at some point next week when I finally get to see it. Expect much praise already.


Of course, the most hyped-up film of the year has to be the final instalment of the Harry Potter franchise (sob). Having grown up with Harry, I am going to be so depressed to see it end. Yes, it’s had its ups and downs (I won’t get into the debate of the best and worst ones) but overall there isn’t one person who has seen it and can deny that they have been entertained. For anyone who’s read the books (and if you haven’t then you are not a fan. You’re not.), you know what’s to come and what a tear-fest it will surely be – there are at least three deaths that I’m hoping are going to make me cry or I’m going to be disappointed. As I’m planning on going to the premiere/midnight screening/multiple viewings, I cannot wait for the film to get here, but at the same time I don’t want it to end. It will be a bittersweet goodbye.



There’s also the gloriously titled Cowboys and Aliens to look forward to - even that title alone should make you want to see this. The cast and crew are an action-movie fan's ultimate dream: the delicious Daniel Craig, the always entertaining Harrison Ford, Jon Favreau (Iron Man) directing, and the brainchild of the great Steven Spielberg. It sounds amazing, and from the trailers it looks like it’s going to be one of my favourite films of the year. It's so original and I love that in the current theme of book-to-film adaptations and sequels/prequels we have something new and exciting.


And then there’s Captain America: The First Avenger. Continuing with the onslaught of superhero films, this is one which is relatively original in Hollywood. I’m excited to see Chris Evans in a role which I think will actually suit him (he was the best part of Fantastic Four, another superhero film which puts him in good stead for this one), and the trailers look impressive. I like the whole background and setting (weedy man rejected as a soldier takes super-serum in WWII to become the buffed-up First Avenger) and the whole premise of it. It definitely looks like an original, great movie to see, and I’m excited to see what they do with it with such a blank canvas. And of course, it has to be good to set up the Avengers film.


One of the films I'm really hoping is going to be good - like awards-nominated good - is the adaptation of On the Road. Merely from pictures I've seen, it looks impressive. I'm starting to get annoyed with it because they filmed it nearly a year ago and there's still no word on a release date; I've only read today that it's put in a submission to be screened at the Venice Film Festival, which still doesn't really tell us anything. Still, I have high expectations for this. It has a good cast - Sam Riley (Brighton Rock), Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy - one of Kathryn and my favourite actors at the moment) Kristen Stewart (Twilight - people need to stop judging her, she's a very good actress. Watch Adventureland, Panic Room or Welcome to the Rileys if you don't believe me) and Viggo Mortensen (LOTR and many a Cronenberg film), among other high-profile actors, and the production already looks amazing. I can't wait for a trailer, and the release.


I'll end with Crazy, Stupid, Love. Not something I'd usually be interested in or recommend, but I've seen the trailer many times now and every time I see it I still laugh at points. Steve Carell has so far only impressed me in one film (Little Miss Sunshine) but with support from Julianne Moore and Ryan Gosling he looks like he could actually be very entertaining in this. The whole premise sounds corny, but generally it looks very enjoyable, with laughs aplenty and a nice feel-good vibe about it. I look forward to its release. It's something a little different for my usual taste of action, but I have high hopes for this.


I could go on with 2011, but this is already a long post and I haven’t even gotten started on 2012, so I’ll just list the upcoming films that everyone should see: Green Lantern, The Three Muskateers, Jane Eyre, Immortals, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Fright Night, Rise of the Planet of the Apes to name a few. I'm sure I've missed some, but I'll keep everyone up to date.

Happy cinema-going! Look out for 2012 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment